Tuesday, February 21, 2006

So we're at least halfway through the BsAs summer, and this time I've been here all the time, instead of traveling to the south or anywhere else. Reasons are twofold:

1. I have a new job and hence no time.

2. I have no money.

Sounds contradictory, surely, but that's exactly like it is. After working 1,5 years pro-bono for CIPPEC, and doing occasional (paid) project work for HelpArgentina, I finally did what I should have done much earlier. I proposed to HelpArgentina that they should hire me as their CTO (Chief Technology Officer) since there was so much tech work to do at Help and they had nobody in that role. And they accepted. So I am happily slaving away at my new job, and it is really interesting, lots of challenges, good learning curve, I am having fun.

Problem is that although I now make money on a monthly base (a stunning US$350 per month, God bless the Argentina social sector!), I still don't cover my living expenses. I am looking for extra freelance projects to bolster my numbers, so if any of you need some IT / Web / Software work, please let me know.

So I've had the privilege to spend the summer in the city, and although as I am writing this we're having a heat spell of some 35 degrees Celsius, the summer here is not as horrifying as they would have you believe. I had expected an oven of 35-40 with 100% humidity for two months straight, and the fact is that we only had a few hot days. While the vast majority of the city's residents left en bloc to fill up the usual summer vacation spots, I've been enjoying less crowded subways, less noise, and generally a more pleasant Buenos Aires. So I don't complain.


As I look forward I only see that I see little. I have no idea how much longer I will be here, but, as in the past, it may turn out longer than I thought. Still, I am playing with the idea of moving on, either to Canada or to Australia. Any of you who are out there, or know the places well, any suggestions are more than welcome!

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well bicho, I was a bit dissappointed to know that you haven´t said a word about us, although we´ve been together for almost 9 month now, and we are sharing a house and a project.
I´m going to yôga practise now (the same place where we met)and I hope you´ll be having me in mind more often.
Besos, Bichito

 

Post a Comment

<< Home